Socks for Christmas get a bad rap, but I’m personally all for a practical gift. What could be a greater gift than not having to buy something you definitely need and use but is absolutely no fun to actually purchase? I started ordering my Tropical Batiste Dry Shampoo in bulk on Amazon. And the other day I bought three bottles of Garnier’s Micellar Water even though I didn’t want to but knew that I should because it was buy 2 get 1 free and I go through bottles like crazy. What gift it would be for someone in my life to get me items I use every day but hate buying! Why would I want someone to get me a fun gift, when those are the only purchases I enjoy making for myself?
I’m not saying I exclusively want to give and get practical gifts, but I think practical gifts should get more recognition. So here are some practical things I’d totally be down to give and receive.
(1) No need for that super expensive, insanely beautiful Drybar blow dryer, I've had this Conair one for a couple years now. It works super well and is the same color, which I mean, is the best part about the Drybar one anyway.
(2) I have trouble finding belts and heels/sandals that fit me properly because nothing ever comes with enough holes! A leather hole punch has changed everything.
(3) Some people seem to have their pen. Having a signature pen or pen preference seems so grown up and self-assured. I've never used this pen, but I have a good feeling this will be my pen. If your person has a pen, buy them a new pack of their favorite pen! Fingers crossed your recipient won't have the John Cusack in Say Anything reaction: "I gave her my heart. She gave me a pen."
(4) I've been hand washing my bras and underwear for a while now, but since moving into my new apartment without on-site laundry, I've been hand washing a lot of my other clothing as well. I have a normal, non-heated drying rack like a peasant, but a heated one would really change the game for heavy knits and the rare occasions I wash my jeans.
(5) I think we can all agree that an electic blanket is a universally appreciated gift. Be prepared to start being late for work due to how warm and cozy you're going to be.
(6) Like I said, socks are a great gift! These would be great for both a sportswear look and a Dad chic vibe.
(7) The mini gold Casio watch has been my signature for the better part of this year, but I've been recently drawn to a bulkier, silver men's watch. I think it would look great on my dainty lady wrists! It's such a unisex classic.
(8) I'm currently drudging through a longer commute than I'm used to. One of the ways I've made it a little more bearable is by having my first cup of coffee during my commute rather than waiting until I get to the office. Also, check out the Stanley x Urban Outfitters collab.